About Me

I love animals and i love to read. I also love acting, which is why i'm in my school's plays. I speak french fluently and love it!

Saturday, October 25, 2008

animal heroes artifiacts con't

In 1999 a 5-year-old rottweiler police dog named Caesar leapt into the path of a bullet, when he tried to disarm a man threatening a schoolyard full of children. Caesar later died of his wounds, but not before his partner Constable Randy Goss and other officers captured the man. Caesar was awarded the Ralston Purina Service Dog of the Year award. http://www.umanitoba.ca/cm/vol8/no2/animalheros.html This shows that heroes are selfless, they think of others berfore themselves, and sometimes this costs them their life.
Dog Rescues Abandoned Newborn BabyAugust 24, 2008 – 9:12 pm by R. Gilbert
A 14-year old mother abandoned her newborn baby in a field in a rural area outside La Plata, Argentina on Wednesday, August 20, 2008. It is winter in Argentina and the temperature at night can get below 40° F this time of year. An eight-year old dog named La China found the baby, brought her home and nestled her among her litter of puppies, saving the infant’s life.
Hours later, the dog’s owner heard the baby’s cries. He called the police, and the baby was taken to a local hospital. After the situation was made public, the young mother went to the hospital, and admitted that she abandoned her baby.
The infant has some bruises, but is healthy.
This shows that heroes can do some surpirsing things.
Saved by the Lab
While walking Boomer, my five-year-old Lab, on a street near my home, I stumbled into a pothole and broke both my legs. Though I screamed for help, no one was around. Boomer lay right down on the road and stayed there. I knew I needed medical help, so I wrapped my arms around his neck and said, "Home." My 160-pound Lab dragged me, stopping now and then. Finally we made it to the house. My husband found me and called 911.
I had rescued Boomer from a shelter. I never dreamed he would end up rescuing me. Heroes can be unlikely heroes, but they are heroes just the same.

Sealed!
Gimpy the elephant seal pup, my constant companion at work, was a gentle giant at 150+ pounds -- until the day I slipped and belly-flopped to the deck at the Marine Mammal Care Center at Fort MacArthur, where I was a volunteer. Dazed, I looked up and saw three aggressive seal pups moving in. I reached for my protective board. Then I saw another large mass of seal blubber rushing toward me. It was Gimpy. She became my shield. As the yelping pups got closer, she swiftly forced them away. She saved me from a mauling that day -- there's no doubt about it.
-- Submitted by Hugh Ryono, Fullerton, California
Even wild animals in captivity can become heroes.
An Eye on You
Cashew, my 14-year-old yellow Lab, is blind and deaf. Her best friend is Libby, 7, her seeing-eye cat. Libby steers Cashew away from obstacles and leads her to her food. Every night she sleeps next to her. The only time they're apart is when we take Cashew out for a walk. Without this cat, we know Cashew would be lost and very, very lonely indeed. It's amazing but true: This is one animal who knows what needs to be done and does it day in and day out for her friend.
-- Submitted by Terry Burns, Middleburg, Pennsylvania
Sometimes friendship makes heroes.

No comments: